The HPE BL460c Gen9 is described by HPE as “the world’s most popular server blade”. It delivers more performance than its predecessors with support for Xeon v4 processors and DDR4 memory. It’s the standard for dense data center computing. Persistent memory options provide a definite boost in speed of analytic processing and data management. This blade can be configured to support a number of different workloads and is a great addition for demanding core IT applications and data center deployments. The BL460c can be installed in either the c3000 or c7000 blade enclosures, which offer compatibility across multiple generations of blades. Cooling, power, and management are handled at the chassis level resulting in a lower cost per server with reduced cabling, power, and airflow requirements in comparison to individual rack mounted servers. With a blade enclosure, the management and network interconnects can pool and share resources across multiple enclosures and can split dual and quad port network connections between interconnects for increased throughput and redundancy.
Small review of HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 Server Blade
The HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 is a half-height blade server designed for HPE’s BladeSystem c3000 or c7000 enclosure. The BL460c features two-socket performance and is designed to optimize your core IT applications with a flexible, and easily-sized workload solution.
Two PCIe 3.0 slots are available on the system with the addition of optional mezzanine risers and can support dual port 10Gb and 20Gb FlexFabric, dual port Fibre channel HBA, QDR and FDR InfiniBand for low latency and high-bandwidth, and I/O accelerator options. A single processor will provide access to a single expansion slot. Access to the second expansion slot requires a second processor. A midplane at the chassis level connects the server blades at an aggregate bandwidth of 7 TB/s to network and shared storage via the NonStop midplane, which then feeds in to the interconnect modules located on the back of the blade enclosure housing the actual network port.
On system management is handled by HPE’s Integrated Lights Out (iLO4 2.0) featuring 4GB NAND with a 1GB USB port and consolidated by the chassis management module. HPE’s OneView can help administrators manage multiple servers and multiple enclosures using different operating systems and 3rd-party applications. For security there is also an optional trusted platform module.
Advantage of HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 Server Blade
There are 16 memory slots total with each processor in charge of eight memory slots, except under certain conditions described above. HPE SmartMemory DDR4 load-reduced (LRDIMM) and registered (RDIMM) memory modules are supported offering advanced ECC. LRDIMM modules will provide the greatest total capacity using 16 128GB memory modules for 2TB of memory total and transfer speeds of up to 2400MT/s. RDIMMs will provide a maximum of 512GB of memory using 32GB memory modules. To attain the maximum supported memory speed of 2400MT/s requires a compatible processor. Quantity and type of DIMMs installed will also affect memory speed.
The BL460c supports a maximum of two SFF SAS, SATA HDDs or SSDs, or two hot plug NVMe SSD drive bays. With SATA or SAS SSDs the system will support 7.68TB of storage. For the other options, only 4.0TB is supported. An M.2 enablement kit will provide additional super-fast storage or can be used as a boot device. Storage controllers include the HPE SmartArray P244br, the Smart HBA H244br, or the HP B140i SATA in addition to optional dual port Fibre Channel mezzanine cards for redundant SAN connections.
Video of HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 Server Blade
Up to two Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3 or E5-2600 v4 processors can be installed and support 4 to 22 cores. V4 processors provide a 21% increase in performance over the v3 version. All processors support Intel Hyper-Threading and Intel Turbo Boost Technologies. However, using certain Xeon v3 and v4 processors will block access to DIMM slots 4 and 5 and will only support 12 of 16 total DIMM slots.
The world’s most popular server blade is nothing without a suitable enclosure. HPE c3000 and c7000 blade enclosures support multiple blade options from the Integrity and ProLiant lines, and several different generations from G1 thru G9. The c3000 supports up to eight half-height server blades and up to four expansion blades. The c7000 supports up to 16 half-height, or eight full-height server blades or a mix of the two.
|PROCESSOR – 2 SOCKET||Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 and E5-2600 v4 product families|
· 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22
|CHIPSET||Intel C610 Series Chipset|
|ON SYSTEM MANAGEMENT PROCESSOR||HPE iLO (Firmware HPE iLO4 2.0), 4GB NAND with 1GB USB user space configurable via UEFI and accessible via iLO.|
|MEMORY PROTECTION||· Advanced ECC|
· Memory Mirroring
· Memory Online Spare Mode (Rank Spare Mode)
· HPE SmartMemory DDR4 Load Reduced (LRDIMM), or Registered (RDIMM)
DIMM Slots Available:
· 16 DIMM Slots Available
· 2TB (16 x 128GB) up to 2400MT/s at 1.2V
· 512GB (16 x 32GB) up to 2133MT/s at 1.2V
NOTE: Depending on the memory configuration and processor model, the memory speed may run at 2400MT/s, 2133MT/s, 1866MT/s, or 1600MT/s.
|NETWORK CONTROLLER||· One (1) 20Gb 2-port FlexFabric FLB, 10Gb 2-port HPE FlexFabric FLB, or 10Gb 2-port Ethernet FLB|
· One (1) HPE FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 536FLB FlexibleLOM
· One (1) HPE FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 650FLB FlexibleLOM
Standard iLO Network Controller:
· One (1) 10/100 Mbps port for the HPE iLO 4 to Onboard Administrator link.
|EXPANSION SLOTS||Two (2) I/O expansion mezzanine slots:|
· x16 PCIe 3.0 Type A (supports Type A mezzanine cards) (expansion slot 1)
· x16 PCIe 3.0 Type B (supports Type A and Type B mezzanine cards (expansion slot 2)
Mezzanine card options include:
· Dual-port 20Gb FlexFabric, Dual-port 10Gb FlexFabric, 10GbE options, and quad-port 1Gb Ethernet server adapter mezzanine options for additional network ports
· Dual-port 16Gb Fibre Channel HBA for SAN connectivity
· QDR and FDR InfiniBand for low latency and high bandwidth server interconnectivity
· I/O accelerator mezzanine options for high transaction rate local storage
|STORAGE CONTROLLER||One (1) HPE Smart Array P244br Controller with 1GB Flash-Backed Write Cache (FBWC) supporting RAID 0 and RAID 1, or HPE H244br Smart HBA.|
|INTERNAL STORAGE DEVICES||Internal MicroSD slot|
|MAXIMUM INTERNAL STORAGE||Maximum Internal Storage: 7.68TB|
· Hot Plug SFF SAS, 4.0TB, 2 x 2.0TB
· Hot Plug SFF SATA, 4.0TB, 2 x 2.0TB
· Hot Plug SFF SAS SSD, 7.68TB, 2 x 3.84TB
· Hot Plug SFF SATA SSD, 7.68TB, 2 x 3.84TB
· Hot Plug SFF NVMe SSD, 4.0TB, 2 x 2.0TB
|INTERFACES||Micro SDHC Slot:|
· One (1) internal Micro Secure Digital High Capacity (Micro SDHC) card slot
USB 3.0 Port:
· One (1) internal USB 3.0 connector for USB flash media drive keys
|INDUSTRY STANDARD COMPLIANCE||· ACPI 2.0|
· Microsoft® Logo certifications
· USB 3.0 Support
· IPMI 2.0
· Secure Digital 2.0
· TPM 1.2 Support
· IEEE (specific IEEE standards depending on Ethernet adapter card(s) installed)
· Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)
· Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES)
· SSL 2.0
· DMTF Systems Management Architecture for Server Hardware Command Line Protocol (SMASH CLP)
· Active Directory v1.0
· PCIe 3.0
· ASHRAE A3
· FIPS 140-2 Level-1 certification
· Energy Star
|OPERATING SYSTEMS AND VIRTUALIZATION SOFTWARE SUPPORT FOR PROLIANT SERVERS||· Microsoft Windows Server|
· Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
· SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES)
· Canonical Ubuntu
· Oracle Solaris
|ENCLOSURES||Hewlett Packard Enterprise offers two different c-Class server blade enclosures to meet your individual needs:|
· The HPE BladeSystem c7000 rack enclosure is 10U high and holds up to sixteen (16) ProLiant BL460c Gen9 servers plugged vertically.
· The HPE BladeSystem c3000 rack enclosure is 6U high and holds up to eight (8) HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 servers plugged horizontally.
|GRAPHICS||Integrated Matrox G200eh video standard|
HPE iLO Management On System Management Memory
|FORM FACTOR||HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 is a half-height server blade that plugs into the HPE BladeSystem c3000 and c7000 enclosures.|
|EMBEDDED MANAGEMENT||· HPE Integrated Lights Out|
· HPE RESTful API
· Intelligent Provisioning
|SERVER UTILITIES||· HPE Smart Update|
· HPE Systems Insight Manager (HPE SIM)
· Scripting Tool Kit and Windows PowerShell
· HPE RESTful Interface Tool
· HPE iLO Mobile Application
· HPE Insight Online
|SECURITY||· Power-on password|
· Administrator’s password
· Keyboard password (QuickLock)
· HPE iLO Management On System Management Chipset
· External USB port enable/disable
· Network server mode
· Serial interface control
· TPM (Trusted Platform Module) 2.0 option
· Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)
· Intel® Advanced Encryption Standard-New Instructions (AES-NI)
· FIPS 140-2 Level-1 certification